Monday, March 06, 2006

Balancing them right

That was way too long back, when I had my own definition for a bike, it goes something like this,' A bike is nothing more than an autogear(sometimes called gearless) scooter, only thing is you have to do something with your left leg moments before you leave the rear brake(later on I found that its called clutch) and ride ahead.' There is a strong reason for me to define this way . I saw many people doing like that before going for a ride.

Later on ,one day my dad said he is looking forward to own a bike, before that we had a 7-10 year old LML vespa NV .Few days later we had a new pair of wheels at our home.It was the latest bike at that time, Bajaj Boxer .And let me remind you that I had the same definition for bikes, and on the top of it i didnt knew ,that you need to do that "something with left leg" (I mean gear shifting)again while riding because I couldnt see people doing that while riding.

Oh yeah, the great day ,thats when I had a chance to ride a bike for the first time.I got the keys, and started the engine..that was easy. But hey, I had my preparation for riding a bike beforehand. I remember those tips to ride a bike given by my friends.

tip-1: Some dude told me that to turn the fuel tab on,before starting the engine.

tip-2: Release the clutch slowly while raising the accelerater

Now its time to shift the gear, i did that "something with left leg", and it took a minute or two to actually start moving since there was a problem with timing the clutch.I went on about 400m around my house and then I felt like going to my friend's house thats about a 1km long. I drove responsibly ,I mean I drove at 20kmph, but the engine sounded so loud as if it was flying low. I reached my friends house ignoring the frightened people through out the way. When I was talking to him I again got that same funny feeling to go further. So we both, I was on my bike, he was on his kinetic honda started for another ride. During the ride, I heard him shouting out ,it wasnt clear ,I heard something like "gear...change...", though I wasnt sure but, I felt like doing that "something with left leg " again. I did it and I was surprised ,the engine sounded pleasant. I did it again ,this time engine was damn silent and I could move faster.It didnt take much time to realize that most of the bikes have four gears.

Later on , I rode few bikes, rather few kinds of bikes. But there is one bike thats worth a mention,its actually my uncle's bike, thats a Hero Honda CD100, 1995 model, The good thing about this bike is you have two ways of braking this bike ,the bad thing is both the ways are risky.

braking way-1: This was the unique braking system I have ever seen. The front brake is a virtual brake,i.e., there is a brake but there is no brake. And the rear brake its one in a million. This brake should be applied with a specific technique under the supervision of experts . For a normal bike you would pr0bably apply some pressure on the pedal using the front foot. But for this extraordinary braking system you will actually have to plant the brake.., Yes, plant the brake with your entire foot. Let me tell the procedure, if you want to slowdown, take your leg off the footrest ,raise it til the knee touches the handle and then BANG,plant the leg on the braking pedal and you think you'd stop, oh yeah, you have 1 in a million chance of stopping.

braking-way2: This is really simple, just follow the braking-way1-procedure, and choose a good tree or a curb, I bet you'd stop , as a matter of fact, your braking statistics would be (60-0kmph in a second),better than a disc brake ,isnt it?

One more bike thats worth a mention is Harsh's Yamaha Fazer, A million dollar question that you'd be asking yourself while riding is 'In which gear am I riding'.The only thing I can say about this bike is it has a magic gearbox.

Kishen's pulsar was good, you always have one more gear to shift on at anytime. Yeah, while riding, I thought I was in the topgear and shifted the gear to confirm , and hey,there is one more gear. Later I checked once again to confirm that the current gear is top or not, but what the heck.,theres one more gear.That was cool.It actually takes you to 80kmph without much effort.

And from the rest, shravan's splendour is mercedes by mileage and thats somewhat 'ride it anywhere' kinda bike ,coz once I saw him riding it on footpath., SARS's Passion has got a medium size handle(Never seen such an handle? me too!!) and no brakes, Jimmy's splendour+ is a '40kmph on the curbs' bike, Pavan's Fiero FX is not a bike, its a bomb on two wheels, Arun's Ambition has an Advanced Microprocessor Ignition(AMI) technology ,135cc engine, but the top speed til date is 20kmph, and unfortunately he hit a pulsar at that speed on 30th july,2005, and now he runs his 135cc bike at 8.21kmph average speed,and on the other hand.. Ramraj's Yamaha RS135 is a drunken monkey while Kiran's Passion loves hitting old women on roads.

Phani is planning to buy a gearless(its not autogear either) bike. Thats for obvious reasons, he failed in driving test just because the bike had gears,there is no wonder he doesnt want any gears for his bike.Though we tried to tell him that his plan sucks ,he says so am I.

And if you notice a set of 32 teeth ,riding any of the above mentioned bikes inside the college,going round and round the same path.,then 99.99% Maanas is the proud owner of them.Why does he go round and round about the same path? May be it gives some kind of funny feeling and, why does he keep laughing while riding?A million dollar question again!

Ravi, Kunal,Bhave are the trio that enjoys real fun of riding without even touching the handle bar.Among these Ravi becomes a part of bike chasis when he is in the passenger seat while kunal covers both the rear view mirrors at a time.

No matter which set of wheels you have ,just balance them right.

No comments: